A solar carport is a structure mounted on 4 or 8 pillars depending on the size chosen, with a roof. This roof contains photovoltaic panels hence the notion of solar in the name of this structure. These panels can be superimposed on a roof, or themselves be the roof of the shelter. The panels differ according to the material chosen, thus giving you the possibility of having a completely covered shelter with a roof covered with photovoltaic panels until a thin layer of photovoltaic plates allowing a little light to pass through. In addition, a wide range of inclinations and arrangements exist for the roof of the solar carport. It can be completely flat or gently sloping or with two sides. Here, the choice of the arrangement of the roof is much more correlated with the power delivered by the photovoltaic panels. Indeed, these depend on the sunshine of the region and the location chosen for the solar carport.. Autonomous, these photovoltaic shelters only require a simple connection to your house to be able to benefit from the free and renewable energy produced.
When it comes to the contents of the solar carport pack and the most commonly installed items, here is what to expect:
- Photovoltaic solar panels: their number and types greatly depend on your needs
- Micro-inverters or a solar inverter, this box is responsible for converting energy from DC to AC allowing you to consume the electricity produced.
- The structure of the carport
- Cables for connection between panels, inverters and the home network.
How to install solar panels on a carport?
Here is everything you need to know about the solar carport in terms of installation. 6nergies thus gives you an overview of the budget to be planned, the various uses to which you have access thanks to this equipment and finally the surface area to be planned.
What is the cost of a solar shelter?
The total cost of purchasing a solar carport depends on several factors:
- The power delivered by the photovoltaic panels : just like regular installations, the power that the solar carport can deliver depends heavily on the material chosen and the number of solar panels installed . The more photovoltaic cells you have and the more advanced the technology chosen, the higher the price. It is also related to your needs and the intention sought. If you are looking to be self-sufficient, you must plan a large and powerful installation delivering enough Peak Watt to cover your needs. This requires proper sizing. In addition, some restrictions are present when it comes to carport such as the surface to which you have access.
- The size of the shelter : The size of the shelter depends on the number of cars you want to park. In addition, if your shelter is large, it requires a large structure as well as more panels to cover the roof. It is a question of balance to find to find a compromise between your needs and your budget.
- Materials used : for the structure specifically, you will have access to different materials to build the structure. It varies from PVC, metal such as steel… .etc. Each has a different durability and, in general, their own advantages and disadvantages.
- With or without charging stations : installing a solar carport can be accompanied by an electric car charging station integrated into the structure. Its addition consequently increases the total price of the solar carport.
These factors explain the fluctuation in the price of the solar carport. Your shelter should normally meet your needs and requirements and be custom-sized. The price of the solar carport remains, however, higher than a conventional photovoltaic installation delivering the same power. This is due to the structure that is added into the equation. So expect to plan between € 10,000 and € 30,000. This includes professional help with assembly and installation. In addition to the installation of the panels and the structure, it is also necessary to take into consideration the connection of the various elements to your electricity consumption network. We strongly recommend that you call on the help of a qualified Qualisol expert to assist you in choosing the solar carport, sizing and determining the layout of the panels and finally the installation.
What are the uses of thesolar carport
- Shelter your vehicle and protect it from bad weather . This is the essence of carports and it can come in handy if you don’t have garages and don’t want to start a construction site at home.
- The production of electricity. Indeed, solar carports are equipped with photovoltaic panels and are therefore capable of producing electricity. This free and renewable energy can help you reduce your energy bill and less dependent on the public network and its fluctuating prices.
- An interesting alternative is to installing photovoltaic panels at home. Many do not seek to alter the appearance of their homes by installing photovoltaic panels on their roofs. Solar carports are therefore an innovative and interesting solution for installing photovoltaic panels at home without compromising the visual appearance of their houses and keeping them “authentic” since they are much more discreet.
- This last use is accessible by adding a charging station to your solar carport. Through the energy produced by the photovoltaic panels, you can recharge your electric car and no longer have to depend on public recharging stations and their fluctuating prices.
What surface area of solar panels is needed to produce energy?
Normally, a minimum surface area of 20 square meters is required. This area is sufficient for 1 small or medium car but if you are looking to house two so-called city cars, it takes 330 square meters and for 3 cars, count 40 square meters. The shelter can be fully open or closed on 2 or 3 sides.
Charging your electric car with solar panels on a carport
For owners of an electric car, you can integrate a charging station into your solar carport, allowing you to recharge your car using free electricity produced by the photovoltaic panels on the roof of your shelter.
You should know, before embarking on the installation of a charging station that recharging your electric car dramatically increases your electricity consumption at home. It is therefore necessary to properly size your photovoltaic installationto accommodate this energy need to be sure that it meets without problems. In addition, each model of electric car has its particular specifications. Consulting an expert is strongly recommended to determine the number of panels required. This, of course, doesn’t take into consideration whether you want to generate electricity for self-sufficiency or only to charge your car. Finally, installing the terminal and connecting it to the inverters is simple but you will have to plan the necessary budget for this addition.
Can we install solar panels on a wooden carport?
Yes it is possible to opt for a wooden structure, but that has its drawbacks. Besides being purely aesthetic, the wooden structure has relatively fewer advantages than its other alternative; in aluminium. But, it should be noted that it is less expensive.
Can we install solar panels on an aluminum carport?
Yes it is possible to opt for an aluminum structure. It is a structure which is much more durable, has a much longer life, is more resistant and requires less maintenance. That being said, it is more expensive than the wooden structure.
The solar carport is an innovative and trendy solution to shelter your car while exploiting the free energy coming from the sun . This type of shelter is particularly recommended for those looking to install electric charging stations in their homes. The solar carport is also recommended for those who want to install photovoltaic panels but do not want to compromise the appearance of their home.